The most common question which is asked by the employees is how to check the accumulated EPF balance in their EPF account. Along with your contribution, your employer transfers some amount in your EPF account every month.The monthly contributions made by you and your employers is reflected in the EPF Passbook. It also tells the total amount in Your EPF account. Some of the amount is also deposited in the Employees’ Pension Scheme or EPS. Checking of the EPF balance online makes it convenient to be up to date about the funds in your account.
Earlier, Employees had to wait for the Employer to furnish their EPF statement that was done at the end of every year. Now they can easily check their EPF balance online and offline.
There are two Online methods:
- EPF Portal
- Umang app on mobile
The offline methods are:
- Missed Call Service
Let us find out how to check EPF balance in detail:
A) ONLINE MODES:
a.) EPF balance check using EPF Portal: Members of the EPFO can check their balance by visiting the official website of Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). Here is a step by step guide to check EPF balance using UAN on EPFO portal.
Step 1: Visit the official EPFO Website- https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php
Step 2: Login to the EPFO website and click on “ our services” tab. From the our services drop down menu, click on “For Employees”. You will be redirected to https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/For_Employees.php
Step 3: From the services menu click on “ Member Passbook”. You will be redirected to the login page.You can also directly visit the page by clicking on this link: https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemberPassBook/Login.jsp
Step 4: Login with your UAN and Password.
Step 5: After logging in, you will find member IDs of all accounts linked with your UAN. This means your EPF account with your current and previous employers.
Step 6: Click on the member ID of the EPF account for which you want to check the balance. The EPF Passbook will appear on the screen.
Points to remember:
Few important points one should keep in mind about the EPF balance check by visiting the website are:
- Only those members who have activated their UAN and have themselves registered on the UAN member portal can check their EPF Balance through this particular method.
- Once registered,the facility of viewing passbook will be available after 6 hours of registering on UAN member portal.
- If any changes are made in UAN member portal, the same will reflect on the website after 6 hours.
- The passbook will show the latest entries that have been reconciled by the EPFO field officers.
- If you have stopped contributing to your EPF account for more than 3 years, your account will be inoperative. Also, Settled members, Exempted Establishments members and members of the inoperative accounts will not be able to viwe their passbook on the EPFO Website.
b) Checking the balance on UMANG app:
Through the centralised mobile app of the government, various services are provided by EPFO. The app is launched by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology can be used to view EPF Passbook, EPF balance, EPF settlements and the status of EPF Claims.The app is known as Umang.This app can be downloaded from the google play store/ app store. Members can check their balance and download their passbook on this app.
Follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Download the application from the play store/ App store or by directly clicking on https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.gov.umang.negd.g2c&hl=en_IN
Step 2: Open the Umang app on your smart phone and select EPFO.
Step 3: Click on the “Employee Centric Services”
Step 4: Click on “view Passbook” to check your EPF Balance.
Step 5: Enter your UAN and click on get OTP to send the OTP on the registered mobile number.Enter the OTP and click on login.
Step 6: Select the member ID of the company for which you want to check the EPF Balance.
Step 7:Your passbook will be displayed on the screen along with your EPF Balance.
c) Check EPF balance without UAN:
Those employees who have not created their UAN yet can also view their EPF Balance using the PF account number which can also be found on the Payslip. Once the individual login to the EPFO Portal they have to enter few details like state where he/she resides, mobile number etc to view the EPF Balance.
B) OFFLINE MODES:
a) Checking EPF balance by sending an SMS: The members of EPFO can also check their balance just by sending an SMS to 7738299899. The format of the SMS should be:
EPFOHO UAN ENG
So, if your UAN is 123456789000 and the preferred language is english, the SMS you need to send is “EPFOHO 123456789000ENG”. The language code will be the first three letters of the language for example ENG for English, MAR for Marathi.
EPFO offers its SMS facility in the following languages:-
This facility can be used only if your UAN is active and seeded with your Aadhar, Bank account and PAN. If you have not seeded your UAN with the above documents, first you have to complete the eKYC with UAN.
b) Checking EPF balance by giving Missed call:
The easiest way of checking your balance is by giving a missed call on this number- 011-22901406. However a member should fulfill the following requirements in order to use this facility:
- The members UAN should be activated.
- The member’s mobile number should be registered with the UAN as the missed call will be valid only if made from a registered number.
- The UAN is seeded with other important documents like PAN, Aadhar and bank accounts.
EPF Customer care:
To solve any account related queries and to help customers know their EPF status at ease , EPFO has launched various mobile and web based services. You may register your grievances by dialling the EPFO India helpline number 1800118005. The PF regulator is also handling its presence in social media to handle grievances and requests from members. The Social networking platform comes as an additional support to the online public grievances addressing system of regional EPF Centres. Information about the regional offices is given at the EPFO Website.
At the end of each Salary period, annual statements of EPF account will be made available at the EPFO website, which can be downloaded by the employers through e Sewa Portal.
Here is the step by step procedure to download EPF balance statement:
- Type the Url http://epfindia.gov.in in the browser.
- Click on the link “for Employers” in the EPFO homepage.
- Under the services listed in the page select”ECR Challan submission”
- It will navigate to the Employer Sewa Page
- Click on “employer E-Sewa” link given on the page and sign in using your credentials.
- In the download tab, select download PF slips and choose your desired location to save the PDF.
1.Can i check EPF Balance using Aadhar number??
A.)No, You cannot check Your EPF balance using Aadhar number. You have to provide your UAN to check your EPF balance through any procedure.
2. How to check EPF balance through PF number??
You do not require PF number for checking the EPF balance. You have to use your UAN and password to check the EPF balance online.
3. Is it possible to check the EPF Balance of the previous organization?
All EPF accounts linked to the UAN will be displayed on the screen while you login to EPF portal. You have to select the respective member ID in order to check the EPF balance of a specific account.
4. Is there a method to check EPF balance using PAN?
PAN is not required to check the EPF balance. However, you should link your UAN and EPF to avail various online services related to EPF
5. Is it possible to check the EPF balance by giving a missed call or sending SMS through unregistered mobile number? In order to check the EPF balance you need to register your mobile number. To avail all the services, it is mandatory to link your mobile number to
In order to check the EPF balance you need to register your mobile number. To avail all the services, it is mandatory to link your mobile number to